Sunday, September 2, 2007

Still a work in progress

Love the pictures Gerald, I thought Id make a new post since you may not look back on the old post, but I made an optional second ending, which is quite obvious that I dont quite know how to put the words, its not very smooth, but has a few different ideas than the first. But also I thought it might be cute to get some quotes from some kids, like Jeremiahs quote, and add them at the very end, asking them what their moms super powers are. Anyways, I guess its not so easy to make it all pull together, but if we wanted to make it longer he could ask a few more people, and add a few more super powers in there, in the end, ive tried to write a few other possible ways to go, and I think the first one, with a few more additives maybe, is the best flowing and most natural feeling, unless someone else can pull it all together in some other way. I cant think of any other inside jokes, I think all moms wishing they had these powers are the inside jokes, but Im really not sure.

Billy asks his Dad if his Mom has super powers "Well son I think your onto something, there are a lot of things you mom is magically (mysteriously, strangely?) good at. And it definitely takes a super power to be a mom. Every mom is for sure a hero to her children. Maybe you should go talk to her about all this.

As Billy walks downstairs he realizes his mom has burnt dinner again, can she really be a super hero, surely a superhero would never burn dinner.

This is where I am stuck for now, Im not sure how to peice together the two endings, I want it to be left with the surprise ending where she is saying shh to the reader, like they cant let their kids know their powrs, I want it to be vague, but for the mother to be honest, and say where she loves him and the part about how each child completes a part of the mother she never knew was missing, I know Ive felt that way, and I think each mother could understand that. Basically she needs to answer his two questions, is she a superhero, or have powers, and does it come with each child. The part about each child completing her could be the answer to the second part but she has to be honest yet vague in answering the first part of the question. But it also needs to be clear that each mother wishes for more powers than they have, or maybe not, but I think that is for sure a universal feeling. Any ideas here folks?

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I think your optional second ending does what you are looking for - answering honestly yet leaving it open for some extra interpretation (especially if you have the picture at the end with her using a super power behind his back). I know it brought tears to my eyes. If you are looking to lengthen the book - I think all you have to do is spread it out some more. When I'm reading to Alexander right now - I really appreciate the books that have only one sentence (&sometimes less) on each page.