Sunday, September 16, 2007

Reviews of Dad's Book

I just read the Amazon reviews of dad's book, The Art of Virtue, (mainly because I wanted to get removed the silly review I had written for it way back when I first learned how to use the Internet) and I was so impressed with the things other people had written.

I thought I would copy some of them here, so you can enjoy them too.

I'm really starting to think about reading it sometime.


3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
Love Ben Franklin, January 23, 2007
Great book on Benjamin Franklin's life. This book will make you a better person. Read it and digest it.


27 of 29 people found the following review helpful:
The "Right Way", October 17, 2000
By Karina A. Suarez (Walt Disney World, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
A book like this should be mandatory reading for everyone. Particularly people who represent other people's interests for a living, such as World Leaders, Presidents, Kings, etc., would find it absolutely useful; a kind of constant tool, a compass that keeps them on the right track once and again. This is a book that shows not only Franklin's wit and wisdom, but also his vulnerability, that wonderful human quality, thus making it enchanting and insightful. Buy this book, learn and practice these principles, and enjoy the new breath of fresh air you'll experience in your life.



62 of 66 people found the following review helpful:
Looking for a mental challenge? Look no further., April 3, 2000
By Edward Yang (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
I saw this book one day when I was browsing Franklin Covey planners in the mall. It had been awhile since I read something not business related so I thought I'd give this a shot. I'll be honest when I tell you I enjoy a good read but this book took me about one year to read from beginning to end. The first few chapters weren't too bad but then it got into a section about a debate between two philosophers on the definition of virtue and why one should practice a virtuous life. I've never read anything that mentally straining in my life (my degree is in Mechanical Engineering BTW). I enjoy the arts but that one section took me about a month before I could fully digest what the philosophers were saying in the span of less than 2 pages. This one section proved so enlightening that my head hurt for about 2 days after I had a chance to chew on the content. If you had any doubts that the founding forefathers of this great nation were anything but geniuses, this should dispell any and all myths. I must say that I even had to break out the dictionary for some of the diction used in this book in that it was definitely not your everyday conversational english. If you enjoy mental challenges of a higher level and your mastery of the English language is proficient enough to understand the fine nuances of sentence structure and double, sometimes triple meanings, I would recommend this book. If you're looking for something a little more entertaining and easier on the mind, then definitely look somewhere else. But I will admit, when I did finally complete this book one year later, I actually felt a major sense of accomplishment. I guess that makes me just a little more virtuous?



30 of 31 people found the following review helpful:
A primer in basic American values. Insightful, witty, genius, April 29, 1999
Reviewer: A reader
If you ever doubted the basis upon which our great country is built, read the ideals of one of its creators. Benjamin Franklin demonstrates that his contribution to the creation of the United States was purposeful. I am now jealous of the resource that Jefferson, Adams, Madison, Washington, et. al. had when he added to their discourse. The Art of Virtue organizes and describes Franklin's perception of a virtuous life, defines happiness by his own values, and shows how every person has the power to pursue a virtuous life to become a happy person. Those famous inalienable rights which Jefferson quoted in the Declaration of Independence come alive with Franklin's wit and wisdom. It is not often I acknowledge a wise man, but Franklin was no doubt an oracle in the field of character. Most impressively, this wisdom is just as applicable today as it was 200 or 2000 years ago.

11 of 12 people found the following review helpful:
SUPER-CALA-FRAGA-LISTIC-EXPI-ALA-DOSCIOUSE, April 6, 1999
Reviewer: A reader
I am actually in the process of reading this book right now, and I love it. The things that Rogers decided to include in this book about the life and wisdom of Benjamin Franklin has definately given me new insights into who he was, but more importantly, insights into specific ways how I can better my own life. In an instant I would strongly recomend to people to not just read it, but find ways to apply the things they learn in thier lives. It's just good, what else can I say?

2 comments:

The Hollemans said...

Im glad to know Im not the only one who tried reading this and then felt so underly capable of its content. I always wish I could read it and understand it, but it is really cool to see how many people enjoy it, and realize what it could do for them in their lives, there is no doubt that Dad not only wrote it but also live by it in his life.

Rebecca said...

I think I might have to read it again, I think I must have skimmed over some passages like I do the Isaiah chapters in the Book of Mormon. Thanks for Being such a Good Example, Dad!