Thursday, November 8, 2007

An Idea for a Christmas Present for Mom

Hi Fam,

As I was waking up this morning I had an idea for a present that we could give mom this year, if you are interested in helping.

I have lately had a goal of wanting to make a quilt. So I thought perhaps we could make one for mom that is similar to the one that grandma had years ago.

Each kid, kid-in-law, and grand kid would have a square with their hand-print, and maybe even a screen cast picture on fabric. So each family would have to create the squares for their family and then send them to our house in Utah. Then over the Christmas break, I could assemble them into a comfy quilt - and mom could even help if she wants - to make sure it is a quilt she likes.

I remember how fun it was over the years when we visited grandma Pugh to see the quilt and find my handprint and compare it to how big my hand was now. So I think it would be a fun one for all the grandkids too. I also remember how one of my favorite presents of all time was the quilt Marie and Becky had made for me when I returned from Africa.

But I don't know much about making a quilt - do you know what dimensions the squares should be? Or what is the best type of material, or ink to make the handprints, etc?

What do you think of the idea? Even if you are reading this mom, what do you think? I think it would be fun, if everyone is up for it, and we get some direction from people who know more than me.

2 comments:

The Hollemans said...

I think it sounds like a fun idea, I dont know anything about quilts either, but if you like I could ask some people who I think might know. I think handprints and pictures, and maybe even some special thank you notes, or messages to mom, or our favorite things about her. Let me know how I can help and Ill do it.

Rebecca said...

I think it is was hand outlines rather than handprints on Grandma's quilt - which is actually easier. There are lots of fabric markers that can be used to outline the grandkids hands.

If we make a queen size quilt - we can calculate the size on this amish site I found or just go by their precalculated full-length size: 109" by 117". I recommend we use rectangles(like Grandma Pugh's - they are the easiest to sew together). If we make the rectangles 10" by 11" - it will give us 10 across and 10 down (With room for a 3 1/2" border on top and bottom, and 4 1/2" border on the sides. Of course people will want to cut their rectangles out a little bigger - like 11" by 12" allowing 1/2" for each border (to allow them to be sewn together.

For fabric -- I recommend solid colored cotton - the kind that Denise used to embroider pillows for us. The trick probably will be coordinating colors - I'm not sure we want something on every spot. Grandma's alternated a white rectangle (with the hand outline & name of child) with a brown rectangle (different kinds of fabrics). Of course this all just for the topside of the quilt. The bottom is usually just one kind of fabric. This quilt could be tied in the corners or just have reinforcement stitching all along the squares.

Maybe this was too long of a comment. Anyway - I'm pretty excited about it. Clint since it was your idea I think you should make some of the final decisions - so that we can all make sure we are on the same page. Let me know what colors you want us to use.

Now is when I wish we lived closer together. I inherited quite a few of those types of rectangles mentioned above - from Denise's crafts, but I think it's too late to try to distribute them to you all.