Monday, August 20, 2007

Idea for a new children's book - need your feedback

OK, I've already talked briefly to Marie and Gerald - and I think this would be a good book for the whole family to contribute to. Share your ideas here.

So - everyone likes superheros - right?

Why not a story about how every time a mom gets pregnant and has a new baby - she also gets a new superpower.

Maybe it is written from the point of view of the imagination of a kid. He hears his mom say she has "eyes in the back of her head" since she had him, and that she can "hear things a mile away" since she had his little sister, etc... - and somehow he gets the idea (because she jokes about it, or because an older kid tells him) that every time a mom gets pregnant and has a baby - she gets a new superpower.

So the book is then a series of pictures (or stories) from his imagination about his mom (or different mom's) with different super powers.

He slowly becomes disillusioned as he realizes his mom doesn't have the superpowers he expected - but it is a heart-warming book because he finds out at the end of the book that she does have the most important superpower ever - her ability to love so much!

Ahhhh - cute!

So: here's my questions.
What should be some good superpowers to include?
What would be some good stories that he could imagine his mom being able to do with her superpowers?
How should he become disillusioned?
How should we work the ending with him discovering the most valuable superpower (love)?

Feel free to leave comments with your suggestions. Get your kids to help you think of ideas.

Thanks

5 comments:

The Hollemans said...

So I have been thinking a lot about it and I love how you decided to set it up, about a kid overhearing things here and there, that is perfect. And then maybe he finally confronts his mom and she tells him the truth and what the real power is. Some more super powers could be something about a sensor when the cookie jar is opened, something about telling lies, like something glows on the kid that only she can see if they tell a lie, and something about reading minds, which could be different then the telling lies one. You could havea picture with everyone at the playground and all these moms are using all their super powers. Did you tell me that idea, if you did I love it.

dr. clint said...

I like those additional super powers you thought of! Makes me wonder if maybe you have powers that you aren't telling us explicitly about - but which those with a subtle eye can decipher through your "hypothetical" examples! :)

Rebecca said...

I think Shaelyn and Brayton and Cassie could really help with some ideas. I think it is about their age(s) that you start to realize how human your parents really are - when something happens that they can't fix. (like a friend that is mean to you or a pet that dies)

Some super powers that I would love to have are to make house work go a little faster - almost like having elves that come while I sleep to clean up and do the laundry and stuff like that - so maybe there is a super power that could zap up messes or stains or whatever. I don't know if I can think of any more of the tracking your kid kind of superpowers-Marie came up with so many great ones. It sounds like a great book - I'm assuming chapter book style vs picture book - right?

dr. clint said...

I don't know - I was thinking more like a picture book - fun illustrations, fun story.

I like the idea of getting some feedback from some kids. Shaelyn, Brayton, Cassie, Matthew, Blake, Jeremiah, Eliah - any ideas???

The Hollemans said...

oooh I love the mess zapper power!!